SITUATION:

The American Civil Liberties Union released a report on July 16 examining use of force by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The analysis covered more than 1,200 immigration enforcement operations across eight states between January 2025 and the end of that year.

Researchers documented officers pushing, tackling, or pinning people to the ground more than 400 times, and using weapons such as chemical irritants, rubber bullets, and tasers about as often. The report also identified dozens of instances involving tactics many local police departments restrict or prohibit, including chokeholds and knee-to-neck restraints.

The report arrived within days of two fatal shootings involving ICE agents. In Biddeford, Maine, a 26-year-old Colombian man was killed on July 13 after agents attempted to stop a vehicle tied to an enforcement operation. Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin initially told Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) the man was the target of the warrant, then called back hours later to say that information had been wrong.

Days earlier, a man was fatally shot by an ICE agent during a traffic stop in Houston. Witnesses and ICE have disputed the circumstances. Reporting has indicated the underlying warrant targeted two other individuals, not the man who was killed.

Both shootings are now under investigation. The Maine case involves the DHS Office of Inspector General, the FBI, and the state attorney general’s office. The officer involved has been placed on leave pending that review.

THE TRUTH:

The report drew on more than news coverage alone. Researchers compiled incidents from hospital and school statements, community reports, and direct documentation across the eight states studied, in addition to news accounts. ICE and DHS did not respond to the report’s findings when contacted by reporters.

DHS’s own account of the Maine shooting changed within hours. Secretary Mullin first told Sen. King the man killed was the target of the warrant, then called back later the same day to say that was incorrect. The correction came from DHS itself, not from an outside critic.

That reversal is not an isolated example. In October 2025, DHS accused Chicago resident Marimar Martinez, a U.S. citizen, of ramming a federal vehicle before an agent shot her five times. Federal prosecutors charged her with assaulting officers based on that account. In November, prosecutors moved to dismiss the case themselves, and body camera video later released showed an agent steering into her vehicle rather than the reverse.

Separately, internal DHS emails showed the department’s own data reflected a 353% increase in ICE use of force during the first two months of the current administration. That figure became public only through Freedom of Information Act requests and subsequent reporting, not through a department disclosure.

Both the Maine and Texas shootings remain under federal investigation, and the Texas case involves a direct factual dispute between witnesses and ICE that has not yet been resolved.

WHY IT MATTERS:

The record here is specific, not speculative. DHS’s initial public accounts of high-profile incidents, including the Maine shooting and the Martinez case, did not hold up. In Maine, the department corrected its own story the same day. In Martinez’s case, it took a criminal indictment, months of litigation, and video evidence before federal prosecutors dropped the charges they had filed based on their own agents’ account.

That pattern matters because it did not come from an outside watchdog forcing DHS to admit wrongdoing on a minor point. It came from the department’s own initial version of events collapsing under scrutiny, in cases where a person was shot and, in Martinez’s case, criminally charged based on that version.

Readers weighing any single new incident involving ICE, including the ongoing investigations in Maine and Texas, have grounds to treat DHS’s first-day account as provisional rather than settled. That is not a matter of ideology. It is a conclusion drawn directly from how the department’s own past statements have held up.

The investigations underway in both cases will take time to complete. Their eventual findings, backed by evidence rather than a same-day press statement, are what should settle the record.


SOURCES:
  • NPR / American Civil Liberties Union, “The use of force has become a ‘default tool’ for ICE officers, a new report finds”
  • CNN, “DHS breaks hours of silence on deadly ICE shooting in Maine”
  • NBC News, “Man fatally shot by ICE officer in Maine wasn’t the target of arrest warrant, senator’s spokesman says”
  • Forbes, “Man Shot By ICE In Maine Was Not Operation’s Target, Senator Says”
  • ABC News, “Judge dismisses charges against 2 people accused of ramming vehicle of federal agents conducting Chicago immigration sweeps”
  • NBC News, “Body camera video and texts reveal details of Border Patrol agent’s shooting of Chicago woman”
  • American Oversight, “ICE Violence Is Up Under Trump, and DHS Has Known for Nearly a Year”
  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security, public statements on assaults against ICE officers

Leave a Reply